Welcome to Our Website! Click to scroll down

Free School Meals

Is your child entitled to free school meals?  Click here to find out more


Free School Meals

If your child attends a tax-payer funded nursery or school, full time and in the Bradford district you may be able to get Free School Meals.


Can I apply for free school meals?

You can apply for school meals if you receive:

  • Income Support
  • Income Based Jobseekers Allowance
  • Income Related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Child Tax Credit with an annual income of less than £16,190, provided they are not receiving Working Tax Credit
  • the ‘Guaranteed’ element of the State Pension Credit
  • support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 (you will need to apply directly to the school not Bradford Council)
  • Working Tax Credit run-on (paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
  • Universal Credit

The way to apply is to use our online form. We can tell you straight away if you qualify


Apply now for Free School Meals


If your child attends a school outside the Bradford area you need to apply to the local authority where the school is.

If your child goes to Appleton Academy, Bradford Academy, Bradford Forster Academy or a further education college you must contact the school to apply.


School meals are free for Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 - why do I still need to apply?

All children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 get free school meals, but if you receive one of the benefits from the list above you may also get help with:

  • the cost of residential school trips (speak to your school about this)
  • travel costs to school
  • school uniform costs (speak to your school about this)
  • council run music lessons at school

For each child registered for free school meals, schools receive a pupil premium of £1,300 (Primary schools) or £935 (Secondary schools) per year. This money is to help your child achieve their best at school.

What if my circumstances change?

If your circumstances change or your child changes school you need to tell us as your entitlement may change.

To report a change in your circumstances please email us at or write to us at Benefits Service, Britannia House, Hall Ings, Bradford, BD1 1HX